No matter where you travel, you can positively impact the environment. Consider your average hotel stay. You can make eco friendly decisions and leave a smaller footprint during any stay.
Here are 3 simple ways to make eco-friendly choices to travel green:
1. Research your hotels
Before you travel, research your hotel choices to see if any are “green certified” through LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design).
LEED is a globally recognized program which “provides a framework to create healthy, highly efficient and cost-saving green buildings.” You can identify a LEED hotel in a few ways:
- Browse a booking site.
- Find LEED’s certification stamp on a hotel’s website.
- Search for “green hotels” through a hotel chain.
- Consult your travel agent for suitable options.
Note: A hotel does NOT need to be LEED certified to be eco friendly; however, LEED is a trusted program that has performed extensive research for you. If LEED approves, you know it’s an environmentally friendly hotel.
2. Leave a small footprint
Treat your hotel room like your home: turn off lights, recycle, conserve water, and limit your heating and A/C usage. Additional, environmental friendly steps you can take include:
- Reusing towels by hanging them up to dry.
- Unplugging any unused appliances.
- Opening the curtains to naturally heat the room.
- Sharing one bar of soap for the sink and the shower.
- Leaving complimentary pens, notepads, and unopened soaps behind.
Every little thing you do to save the environment adds up! No action is too small to make a lasting impact.
3. Encourage your hotel’s green efforts
A great way to encourage green hotels is to show them your support. Be vocal about their green efforts to keep their environmentally-friendly practices a priority! Here are ways you can support:
- Leave your hotel a note of thanks.
- Give their efforts a shout out on social media.
- Write them an excellent review online.
- Recommend the hotel to your friends!
Everyone enjoys positive feedback; hotels are no exception. Who knows? If other hotels see the value travelers place on green efforts, they may start incorporating eco friendly operations in their own chains!